Sunday 20 May 2018

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN EDUCATION & CAREER

Choose an unconventional career and you'll notice people asking questions. Here, by 'unconventional career' I mean a career they never imagined you'd take up. If you are in the good books of people the questions will be full of awe and they might exclaim and ask, "WOW! How did you do it?" and if they don't like you they might say "Look who is trying to be cool".

But then the answer in your head remains the same. Irrespective of the type of comments you get and the judgements people make about your type of job, your earnings, what you could've done instead, and what you did right, the answer remains the same which is, "I chose this career because I wanted to, it liberates me; I didn't overthink it, just went with my instinct and never stopped".

It rather might make you think, "People are doing far better than me, channelizing their energies more efficiently, being more consistent, so, do I even deserve this niceness this early on and do they really think I'm doing a good job?"

People might think it is a big deal or not a big deal but in your head the reason for why you chose something should be clear. Then the comments don't really matter because primarily you'd do it for yourself anyway. It helps in remaining humble and at peace as well. Yes, appreciation does prove to be encouraging but in the end self-motivation is key. Unless you do what really drives you, you might stop when the enthusiasm dies, but when it is a way of being then no matter how good or bad you are at what you do, it won't matter much to you. Rather, chances are you'd do it enough number of times to be decent at it.

Self- awareness & education play such a major role here. We hear advice coming from everyone and everywhere; be it elders, parents, teachers, friends or even the internet, and sometimes, we let all of them shape our thinking to such great extent that we lose the essence of our own thought process. Don't let that happen. If you can be wrong, so can they. So, think things through before you accept every comment or advice to be a line cut in stone or "Patthar Ki Lakeer'. Think for yourself.

7 comments:

  1. I find your thought well placed here regarding the topic, parents have their own role in choosing their child's career, they think on their own way. And role of society and relatives, I think it is overstated in our Indian society anyway, therefore who cares. U have put it very well, going into the brains of 3rd person. Hatss off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for reading my write-up and taking out time to comment :) I'm glad to know you could resonate with what I expressed and I hope we all get more opportunities to explore and understand what we really want to do!

      Delete